Sunday, December 02, 2007

Saturday - Sunday: The wee small hours

Hallo!

After I left you yesterday I continued to twiddle with my Christmas decor, and have now added the following mirror tiles (two are, regrettably, a smidge wonky) and extra fairy lights! Wa hey! Can a girl ever have too many twinkly twinkly fairy lights? (YES!!!!!!!)

I then had a very unforunate experience. As you will know, a shower is one of THE very important features in my day, without which I find it impossible to function at a reasonable level. Well, I had been in the shower for approximately 2 minutes when... the water became COLD. Completely cold! The boiler had cut out and refused to reignite. Annoyingly (or maybe luckily) enough, it still worked for the hot tap in the kitchen, so I spent the following half an hour running back and forth between the kitchen and the bathroom filling a washing up bowl with warm water, throwing it over myself with a jug, and alternately feeling satisfyingly warm and horrifyingly FREEZING! Time consuming and uncomfortable. Also unusual. My warm shower is something that my apartment usually unhesitatingly provides me with. Boo hoo.

I downloaded a selection of Christmas music to keep myself in the festive mood, then dashed out to meet my buddy Sarah at our favourite vegetarian restaurant for a late lunch. This place does seriously great and healthy food, and it's right up the road! It's situated near to the Google and Microsoft buildings, which I like to peek in as we pass. Here we are on our lunchtime mission:

The tea was ginger and jujube. Yummy yum to the extreme!

Yes, I am about to eat a napkin in this shot.

I then dashed back to my apartment by 4:30 (we like to take our time when we dine at the veggie restaurant: it has good ambience ;)) and dashed back out to meet my pal Barry at Wudaokou subway station (again, right up the road from where I live, this is a light rail station that conveniently connects we who dwell in the university sector with the rest of the city) by 5pm! Together with some other friends of Barry's we went to a bar to see the following:


Maybe I'm being really obtuse, but I can't work out how to rotate her! Argh! Anyway. these guys call themselves 'Too Dumb to Die'. They've been travelling around the world for 5 years, mainly by bicycle, supporting themselves financially by making music in cafes, bars and on the street, and by selling their own CDs and artwork (for a very reasonable local price, I must add). They were great, and their music was fantasticaly unusual.

This was the main event. They are the Beijing Improv, and they did a series of 'Whose Line is It Anyway'esque stuff which was soooooo funny. Their humour and the speed of their improvisation was really impressive. Woo, how we laughed! Plus, there was free lemon water to drink AND a free buffet with great salads! Happy Bec!

After this, we went to a club called White Rabbit who were holding a World Aids Day awareness event. From that point I sat on sofas with a single White Russian (which I eked out with baby sips ;)) and chatted to the extent that I forgot to take photos. Alas. I need to cultivate my photographic instinct; the photographer in me has lain dormant for too long.

All in all, a great night! Bed = 3:30am. Now = 9:54am. The fairy lights are lit, the advent calender has been adjusted, the music is serenading me, and I am about to start lesson prep for the coming week!

Happy Sunday my lovelies x

No comments: