Monday, November 03, 2008

Momentary moment moment moment moment



Well, hello! Look who it is: me!

So, realising that it's been ALMOST A YEAR since I last wrote, I was on the verge of starting a whole new blog... I actually went as far as signing up for it and writing the first post... but then I realised that I was doing that exact thing that I've come to realise makes no sense: COMPARTMENTALISING!! This has truly been a year of realisations - the kind that make life itself look so very different, it's as if someone has switched channel without telling you. Yes, anyway, what I've realised about compartmentalising life is that:

a) Calling a marshmallow a mushroom does not change the essence of the marshmallow. It can be called a mushroom if you insist, but when I eat it (which I inevitably will), it's still going to taste like a marshmallow.

b) People like stories. Deep down, somewhere where intellect doesn't impinge on intuition, we are all narrating our own.

c) Our stories are composed of miniscule chapters. Teeny weeny incy wincy chapters, so small that they flow together to create a seemingly seamless whole. In case you didn't realise, that's good news. It means that this very mini moment is the one when you can make that new start you've been planning :D

Mm hmm, so basically I concluded that I should persevere with this blog. And here I am.

To say that this year has been eventful would be an understatement so great that I couldn't even do justice to it via some incredibly ingenious comparison. Let's just say it's been MOST eventful, and leave it at that.

I know you've only come to snoop at my photos, so I'll gratify the effort you made walking over here by sticking up a few from the last year. Be warned, however: I have much to say. I suspect I'm going to write about things that I had no intention of writing about, because finally I see that this year has been awful and wonderful, and weird and enlightening, and scary and exciting, and so many other things beside... and I have always taken refuge in writing: it organises my chaotic thoughts.

So welcome, friends old and new, to peek at my snapshots, skim-read my stories and wonder what on earth I am. I do hope you are happy. I hope you are warm, well-fed and within a few pace's distance of something wonderful to read. But, even if you can't tick all of the above, I hope you have peace.


Me and marvellous Martha do Korean dinner with Ma and Mike (Beijing)


My darlingest sibling on early-morning stroll to whooshy waterfall (Waterfall, Wales)


Tusk-brushing sesh with lovely Jin (Beijing)

Wondering whether I'm about to meet a watery end (Devon)

Bec the leaf (Westonbirt Aboretum)

In my other role: promoter of dumplings (Beijing)

With cold feet, happy heart and Sarah (Sandymouth, Devon)


Mart demonstrates the in-tent schnuggle (Forest of Dean)

The Buddha demonstrates the in-tent peace (The FOREST!)

Mim and Mart do breakfast at Mim's: many yums! (Pembrokeshire)

Bec overboard! (Near Mim's)


Waiting for our clothes to Dry (Launderette int' Forest)

The world beneath my knees (Mim land)

The intricacies of tortoise care (Swansea)

Giving my forehead its annual airing (Mim's beach!)

Wishing I could wrap the WHOLE WORLD in a snuggly pink towel (Swansea)

More when I can manage it!

For now, much love,

Bec
x

No comments: