Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Woooooooo


So, yesterday was Halloween. I recalled, with a pang of nostalgia, that on 31st October last year I was at Bethan's Halloween houseparty dressed as a black cat, and the stairs were lined with the candlelit results of the design a pumpkin lantern competition. I had been living in Cardiff for just a month, and I hadn't even tried teaching a real class! Here I am, twelve months later, spending Halloween in a teachers' meeting and hair salon. In a culture where superstition is alive and well, partying with ghosts and ghouls is not appealing. No, I did not venture to have my hair done yet - I let Lyn play guineapig instead, and the results are most encouraging!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haloween is yet another example of American imperialism. It teaches children to take money from others, and is in fact in existence purely as a lesson for children in the ways of capitalism. It should be avoided by anyone with a disdain for Imperialism.

Onwards towards Communism comrades!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymouse....Ummm....it teaches children to take CANDY from others (or egg and shaving cream their houses) :)

Bec....Did you see anyone here doing anything for Haloween? The only thing I saw was at Pizza Hut :)

Only Bec said...

Since when has Halloween been American? Anonymous: dig out your history books my friend.

Nope Andy, I saw absolutely nothing for Halloween here, except at Kindergarten where they have some random pumpkins on display all year round!

Have you been to Pizza Hut here? How does it taste?

Anonymous said...

I grew up on pizza hut so I actually really like their pizza....and it is the same here as it is in the states (I needed a break from chinese food overload and went there). It is strange though because in the states, pizza hut is cheap fast food but here in Shijiazhuang, it is a fancy restaurant....very odd. If you want to get pizza some time, let me know.....I love it

Anonymous said...

Andrew Strauss, i think you sholud concentrate on what you you, cricket. Haloween is American. You should avois Pizza Hut as well, it is a big companys and is all about Imperialistic virtues. Eat at a family or communal owned eatery.

Anonymous said...

I never said that haloween was or wasn't American. We celebrate it in America. Read the last few posts. Why should I avoid something just because it is about imperialistic virutes. They have good pizza. End of story. I like their pizza so I eat there. If you show me a mom and pop place that has better pizza....fine....but until then, I will eat at the place I think has the best pizza.